New Beatles Releases; The Who at Live Aid

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 07:38:54 CST 2004

> This is also my understanding, that Martin only
mixed the UK releases.

Bruce:

Yes, that's what I'm hearing from every source. I
visited that website when I first heard the discs,
provided by an asute gentleman from Akron.
One listen to the stereo I Feel Fine and you have to
shake your head in wonder at how this stuff got out. A
lot of it sounds like well worn LPs. They added reverb
to reverb already present (by George Martin), and it
makes much of this unlistenable unless (I guess)
you're listening on a transistor radio.

> It was not seen on UK TV.  Trust me, if it had been
we would all have copies.

I guess it all comes down to how it was broadcast. If
it was filmed but never got out of the "booth" at
Wembley (to anyone), it would explain why the entire
WGFA is present but not MG or PW.

> ha! ok...

Joel:

I would extend the same courtesy to Billy Idol, or
Gary Glitter, or Simon Townshend...any of the people
who got themselves connected to the band. I didn't
even mention a related (to his Tommy appearances)
reason, that Elton John had a hit with a Who song
(Pinball Wizard, of course).

Speaking of Live Aid...I have watched it all now,
mostly from my store where I can't really pay
attention. Last night I showed selected bits to my
wife here at home (big TV, 5.1 system). The sound
quality is outstanding. The picture quality is equally
impressive. You're there. And despite a lot of fluff
artists in the earlier hours (Spandex Ballet, Paul
Young!!!) and the unavoidable head-to-head comparison
of Do They Know It's Christmas to We Are The World (we
Americans look pretty lame), some performances are
outstanding. U2 most notably, they deserved every bit
of the press they got. Not ALL of the 80's were crap,
even if it may seem so while watching the Jagger/Bowie
Dancing In The Street video.. It's more than worth the
price of $20 (at Target), you might want to catch it
while it's on sale.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
                       Lazarus Long

=====
Cheers         ML