Rolling Stone: "My Generation" #11 song

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 08:04:57 CST 2004

>From Digital Spy at:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds17028.html

Dylan song voted best ever
Wednesday, November 17 2004, 15:25 GMT -- by Daniel
Saney

Bob Dylan's 1965 classic Like A Rolling Stone has been
voted the best song of all time, according to a poll
conducted by Rolling Stone magazine.

Much of the list is taken up by songs by the Beatles
and the Rolling Stones, and was compiled taking into
account the opinions of 172 artists including Joni
Mitchell, Elvis Costello and K D Lang. Interestingly,
only one song from recent years made the top 20 -
Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Over 200 of the top 500 were from the 60s, 144 from
the 70s, and the 1980s spawned only 55.

The top 20 in full:
(1) Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
(2) (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
(3) Imagine - John Lennon
(4) What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
(5) Respect - Aretha Franklin
(6) Good Vibrations The Beach Boys
(7) Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
(8) Hey Jude - The Beatles
(9) Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
(10) What’d I Say - Ray Charles
(11) My Generation - The Who
(12) A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
(13) Yesterday - The Beatles
(14) Blowin’ in the Wind Bob Dylan
(15) London Calling - The Clash
(16) I Want to Hold Your Hand - The Beatles
(17) Purple Haze - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
(18) Maybellene - Chuck Berry
(19) Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
(20) Let It Be - The Beatles

=====