The Who Mailing List Digest, V11 #286

Joe Lewinski lewinski at icanon.com
Tue Nov 16 10:33:23 CST 2004

At 10:28 AM 11/16/2004, you wrote:
>All right then.  Played a gig on Friday that was weird.  We were good,
>but there wasn't much response from the crowd.  Kind of a "downtown"
>crowd that wasn't very energized.  It kind of took the wind out of our
>sails towards the end of the night.  We had a gig on Saturday too, and I
>was worried that I might be a little dejected from the night before's
>uninspired set.  But there on TV was The Kids Are Alright on IFC.  I got
>to watch "Sparks" just before we left, and it sparked me all right.
>Windmill heaven and a fun, high energy show followed.  I'm getting good
>at windmills now; I'm starting to bleed on my picking hand.  Broke the
>pickup switch knob off my SG.

Jim:  Good post.   Lackluster crowds can really suck the life from a
performer.   I've seen it happen many times, but I've never experienced
it because I don't perform [in a band - ;-p ] very often.

Cool to hear about the windmills on the SG.  I've got an SG too.   Not
vintage mind you, but an SG all the same.   I find that an open handed
windmill from the bottom up is the safest method.   Coming down across
the neck is always risky for fingers, knuckles and my wrist.

That pickup switch is in a bad spot anyway - that'll teach it!
Besides you can hard-wire it to *lead* mode if what your website
says about your style of play is true!

Joe in Philly