Winnipeg Sun on 2 Who DVD's

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 06:47:50 CST 2004

On line at:
http://tinyurl.com/4mezw

The Who
LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT FESTIVAL 1970
EAGLE ROCK / EMI

LIVE IN BOSTON
WARNER

Not all Who albums are created equal. Neither are all
Who DVDs -- especially not these two. Live at the Isle
of Wight and Live in Boston sit at opposite ends of
the spectrum. The former captures the original band in
full, breathtaking flight at a U.K. rock festival,
blasting through a fiery 85-minute set that includes
most of their then-latest album Tommy. Despite the
amateurish production, if you're a Who fan -- and who
isn't? -- it's essential. Which is more than we can
say for Live in Boston, filmed in 2002 just weeks
after the drug-fuelled death of bassist John
Entwistle. You'd think watching Pete Townshend and
Roger Daltrey carry on in the wake of tragedy would be
moving. But mostly it's just depressing -- like
watching two escaped lifers shackled together on a
raft, paddling like hell but going in circles. Hearing
them plod through a sluggish set with a new bassist is
bad enough; hearing them snipe at each other in the
interviews (Roger's first thought at John's death:
"F--! I'm stuck with the miserable one!") is worse. We
still have hopes for a new Who album; DVDs, not so
much.

Isle of Wight: ****

Boston: *

=====