Not Fooling

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 08:47:52 CST 2004

> "Still The One" has been used in an Applebee's
commercial, ABC Network
broadcasts, and one other I don't remember.

Greg:

I'm sure they got permission and paid to do so.

> Orleans was asked to perform at a Republican
fundraiser some time ago and I
believe Hall considers himself a democrat, so they
opted NOT to perform.

So the GOP was aware of how he felt about it.

> My point here, is the euphoria.  Older folks in
political arenas are moved
by that track.

I understand, but that doesn't give anyone license to
use copyrighted material without permission.
Especially, as I said, someone who is obligated to
uphold the law.

> I also saw George's "Something" lyrically ripping
James Taylor "Something In the Way She Moves" a slight
bit.

As George himself said, he walked by a studio where
Taylor was singing the song and was inspired to write
Something.

> and some studio pros).  Lubie, as covered by the
WHO, gives credit on the CD
to Paul Revere and company.

Right, because it was a "new" song...despite
practically identical music to the original Louie
Louie. Then again, check out Beg Borrow And Steal by
the Rare Breed. Apart from being a great song, the
music could have been lifted directly from Revere's
version of Louie Louie. Love the "Dave Davies" go wild
guitar solo.

> Here I agree, that intent is really the way, but
it's hard to draw the line on intent.

In this case, I don't think so. The GOP knew Hall
didn't want them to use the song. And they used it
anyway. And they have a history of trampling on
people's rights.

> and the like, having to
pay is downright stupid (overkill).

But it's the law.

> It's just too bad it has to happen this way..

The way to avoid it would be to be aware before you
take a song without asking. That's pretty easy.

> Make us proud!

Kevin:

Instead America made Osama proud by being successfully
manipulated into voting for the person who will best
further Laden's plans.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
                  Lazarus Long

=====
Cheers         ML