Not fooling

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 22:06:02 CST 2004

>It's not a perfect world out there, and before you ask, I am not excusing
anything here, but I think its a bit of overkill, even tho I do understand
fighting for the rights of copyright.

I dunno.  This is national political organization, and a national campaign
on a huge scale, so they'd better be following the rules.  You'd expect that
the local kiddie day care center might be using music in their shows without
permission and without paying royalties, but organizations like church
choirs and school bands are expected to be aware of the rules and to pay up.
  Therefore, large and highly organzied political campaigns had better cough
it up as well.

I'd say the same whether it's Democrats or Republicans using the music.
After all the furore about copyright and misuse of music, they need to get
it right.  The fact that the Bush spokeswomen said they have a licensing
company means they're aware they should have permissions and should be
paying.  Therefore, Mr. Hall deserves satisfaction.