Pino off his leash

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Tue May 25 19:48:33 CDT 2004

> Oh, agreed 100%.
> Which is why I wrote about letting him off his leash.
> But, why?
> Why subdue the low-end sound?
> The only thing I can think of is that the album and possible tour will be
> the last hurrah, and Pete and Rog. don't want to take the time or energy to
> work Pino fully into the lime-light like they've done with Zak.

Kevin:

Why don't they just let him off his leash without necessarily featuring him
like they do Zak?  Mix him up so we can hear him and let him be creative with
the songs, so long as he doesn't miss cues and notes, yet leave him where he is
on stage.  Roger said in 2002 that Pino could imitate John, but that they
wanted him to use his own style.  Is his "style" inaudibility and boringness?  I
can't imagine that's true.  It is always easier to tone someone down than to
pump them up.  They should mix Pino up and let him do his thing.  If he
overdoes it, tell him to dial it back a bit.  It seems to me pointless to have this
world-renowned studio bassist on stage playing vanilla bass lines that the
audience can barely hear.  If they're not gonna let him loose, they oughta save
some money and get some average bassist who can stay in rhythm and on the
changes.

Mc