My MSG Review

PT408 at aol.com PT408 at aol.com
Sun May 23 19:15:27 CDT 2004

Hi gang,
I saw the show from Pino's side, good $250 seats. First off, I was a little
disappointed  that they started with ICE, Sub, and Anyway....  . I was looking
forward to that "in your face" start with WAY and Baba.   Anyway, no big deal.
 Not much talking by Roger or Pete upfront, just real tight songs.  You could
have made the case that they sounded like the 2002 shows at that point.  Then
for me, and imagine the same would be for you guys on this board, this show
was different.  Pete said he was real happy to be here, to be back.  This
multi-millionaire, multi-talent rock icon looked very humbled.  He didn't say much
more, I just felt it. You guys on this board are like me, back in January
2003, you woke up one morning to hear that the guy who wrote the soundtrack of our
lives, had just taken a shovel and wacked us in the gut. Of course, time has
passed and this event is essentially over as far as we fans are concerned.
However, Pete looked to me at least, he had his doubts if would ever be back
anywhere, not just in NYC.  From that moment, The Who Locomotive Express rolled on
and my ears are still humming today.
Here's some random thoughts;  BIG highlight was Naked Eye accoustic.  Pete
mentioned it was a first.  I forgot what a gem that song is.  By the way, I
might be way off base, but Roger didn't seem happy.  He didn't crack a smile until
45 minutes into the show.  His voice sounded good, but he was drinking alot.
Maybe I'm reaching here.  Anyway, this was wild.  During one of Roger's mic
twirling tricks, he accidently let the mic go and it flew right into the 1st
and 2nd row.  We're talking, major velocity.  It looked like everyone was
alright, but Roger seemed real concerned.  He almost didn't care if he got the mic
back, he just wanted to make sure no one was dead!!  Surprise at end, after
Listening to you, they stayed on and played Magic Bus.  Great version of the Bus.
(Zak is too good to describe)  Pete was great all night.  He nailed the solo
accoustic Drowned.  He sounded great during Eminence.  Plenty of windmills, a
couple of Birdman poses.  He mentioned that if anyone wanted to buy Who music,
he would be willing to listen because he has some expensive sailing habits.
I think he was referencing the whole CSI TV show thing.  He also gave the
impression that the record company was going to release Then and Now and he
decided to freshen it up with two new songs. I thought it was the other way around.
Pete is in great shape (of course Roger is).  He should have written the
line, "I hope I'm in great shape when I get old." Because at 59, he still can play
and move with the best of all time.  Finally, the Who fans are the greatest.
>From my seat on the side, I often looked out and saw thousands of smiling
faces, singing, jumping, windmilling, and cheering their beloved Who.  I'm a
proud Who fan.

Dave in NJ     p.s Now Pete, get off your f***ing boat and write more new
songs!!