Set list, deam or not...

O'Neal, Kevin W. Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org
Wed May 5 08:44:18 CDT 2004

>From: <mobailey at ntlworld.com>
>Subject: Naked Eye
>
>> On a related note...I was really quite shocked to read
>> that Naked Eye didn't
>> even make the list of Who Fan Favorite Who Songs.
>> *Didn't even make the list!!???*  What the fuck???
>
>Really?  I'm shocked too.  I voted that song as my number 1 favourite.

You are obviously a wise and astute Who fan!

>I guess a lot of the voters were not "real fans" - they may not have even heard of this song
>before.  Was the list just full of singles and radio classics?

But the list was generated by us listers.  Those of us few (relatively) fans that bother to participate in Who-discussion here on lists.  We live WHO!

>Can anyone please post the full list?
>I haven't been able to find the magazine yet, and this list was what I was most interested in.

Brian Cady posted it here on igtc last month I believe.  I can't remember the title of the post, but I'm sure it's in archives.

>From: "John Hughes" <pureneasy at tesco.net>
>Subject: Re:  MSG Dream Set List
>
>I therefore antricipate the songs on the rest of the shows this year will be
>much the same as at the UK warm ups and RAH, with the odd couple thrown in
>and out from the "different" songs played in 2000 and 2002.

Me as well.
I don't see the reason to change things now before hitting Australia and Japan.
The 2002 tour was new for the UK warm up shows this year.  It is new for Australia and Japan.
And, those of us going to the 4 US shows should attend with the attitude that we get to hang with da boys while they warm up or round off this tour.

As I've said, if things are the same in 2005, it would be a grand miscalculation on the part of The Who.
I could see a revolt...... "let's forget you better still..."
(pains me to write that.)

>From: Marcus Surrealius <bushchoked at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: The ONE
>
>> set to random....HEY MARK!!! had Kinks Konsciousness
>> disc 1 in there too!!!!))...
>
>Kevin:
>
>Yeah? Starting to like it? How did the guests react,
>or did they at all?

Jules actually jumped up and ripped off her blouse, and started dancing on the table!
My wife joined her, as did our friend Dan's wife!
We all (boys) sat back stunned at the fact that we forgot to go to the bank and trade for singles.

Ha!  ;-)

Actually, The Who is the only one that got reactions.  Really.
Well, except for when little Erik (Dan's boy..less than a year old) tumbled down the steps of the deck.
Talk about a party stopper.  Other than a scrape above his eye, he was fine.
But, it was horrific none the less.

>From: "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade at ascpl.lib.oh.us>
>Subject: Re: MSG Dream Set List
>
>You could be right, but that won't take away from my pleasure in watching
>Pete play some ferocious, feedback-laden guitar; no bland sameness in that.

Yep-er.  Pete will know that he needs to put it into that extra gear.  No advertisement or promotion.  This is for the hard-core fans.  A one shot deal.
An opportunity for each side (band and fans) to say 'thank you'.

>From: "Jim M" <petenotped at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: The One...the warmup.
>
>You mean I'm hearing virgin Who and you're getting sloppy seconds!

More like sloppy 9th's!

>You
>better hope no one's smoking at Mansfield...

I won't be there.  ;-)
Given my past experience at Mansfield, you can bet on the smoking.
Mmmmmm, sweet smelling elixir of life!  Best damn hangover medicine out there.
LET THE SICK AND DYING USE IT FOR FUCKS SAKE!

>or Roger might lose his voice by
>Saturday.

Nahhhh, he knows to save his voice for the real deal.
Let's *hope* there's no smoking, or they may cut the set list to ensure Roger is ok for MSG.  ;-)

>So, what's your prediction.  Will they try out any new material on us?

No....other than ORW and RGLB.
They'll warm up here.
Hit the UK again for IOW (wish I could be there).
Tour Australia and Japan where they will be greatly appreciated and will receive stellar reviews from stunned critics.
Hit the West Coast of the US for a "good luck in the studio" party.
Then, into the studio to record the album, and a full blown US and Euro Tour in 2005.
Then, they'll ride off into the sunset....

Question,... for the new album, will they re-record RGLB with Pino???  Or, will there forever be an astik next to that song?

>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade at akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Opener?
>
>VELVET REVOLVER, the newly formed supergroup featuring former
>members of GUNS N' ROSES and STONE TEMPLE PILOTS,<snip> have been offered four
>East Coast dates with THE WHO in late May.

Yeah, the opening act rumors are a flyin'.
There is a *RUMOR* going around that The White Stripes will be the opening act.  I checked out their web site, and there's nothing about opening for anyone.
As someone pointed out, The White Stripes would make it a double-bill, as they are quite popular (or at least were in the very recent past).
I, for one, would be interested in seeing them.
But, my friends who are fans tell me they aren't that good live.  And, in a large venue will probably get lost.

>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade at akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: MSG dream set-list
>
> "When I Was A Boy"
>would bring a big smile to my face.

BINGO!
*There* is the John tribute we've been looking for.
Not ORW, but WIWAB.
It would bring a *big* smile to my face.
And, to Jacqueline's too.

>From: "Jim M" <petenotped at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Opener?
>
>>have been offered four
>> East Coast dates with THE WHO in late May.

Exactly.
Hence my conclusion as simply a rumor.
(four total, but...)

Kevin in VT