Another Goofy Poll......For You

Joe Lewinski lewinski at icanon.com
Tue May 4 18:24:54 CDT 2004

Scott posted the top twenty riffs from some poll:

 > 1. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
3. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
4. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
5. Enter Sandman - Metallica
6. Layla - Derek & The Dominoes/Eric Clapton
7. Master Of Puppets - Metallica
8. Back In Black - AC/DC
9. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix
10. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
11. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
12. All Right Now - Free
13. Plug In Baby - Muse
14. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
15. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen
16. Walk This Way - Aerosmith w Run DMC
17. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream
18. No-One Knows - Queens Of The Stone Age
19. Paradise City - Guns N' Roses
20. Killing In The Name - Rage Against The Machine

I've never heard #20, but the rest are long riffs of  10 or more notes.
Punk and early Who qualifies as Punk in my book with songs
like Substitute and I Can't Explain accomplish the riff in 7 or less
notes.     I like many of those songs, but some are too slow to
be considered a hook.   More like an anesthetic.

Joe in Philly