The heart of The Who speaks!

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 00:02:07 CDT 2004

>>Lotta good
>the Lord did Pete when he was jamming a needle into  his arm.  Lotta good
>the Lord did Pete when he was guzzling all that  brandy.  Lotta good the
>Lord
>did Pete when he was entering that  illegal porn site.

>Pete is still with us.  His life and his attitude speaks volumes  for the
brokenhearted and for those that aren't afraid to face the real  situation.
He
gives credit to God for this. He knows that He is loved by  God.  That is
something far greater than banging some strings on a board  very well.  I'll
be
forever grateful for his gift to us. The gift of  honesty.  He is one of the
bravest men I know of.

Pete's seeking in these places is valuable to us because it informs his
writing.  He goes places we would or could never go and seeks out experience
of the human condition, and then he reports it back to us.  When he writes
about things, we recognize that they're real because he HAS experienced
them.  They have the ring of truth.

I'm not sure it's appropriate to discuss whether the Lord was looking after
Pete in these cases or not, as we're not sure what Pete's beliefs are in the
matter and how these affect his survival.  Scott, I'm sure you have to
concede that belief in something can stimulate someone to survive,
regardless of whether it's ultimately true or not.

We may have no future at all.  That comet might fall on us tomorrow.  We
might get hit by a car.    But because we believe in a future, we continue
to plan and strive and live.  Jon beliefs and worldview makes him one of the
shining lights on this list, and he's already experienced the benefits.  I
really don't think you can convince him that these beliefs are bad for him.
I just don't think evangelism works very well for atheists.

;)
keets

The Agnostic's Prayer  (Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness, ©
1969)

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say,
I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or
failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but
something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you
may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this,
whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a
manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity
as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be
yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as
much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in
some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.