Is it just me?

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 22:09:55 CDT 2004

>I actually like Roger's performance, too.  I just don't think it matches
>the music.  Would you like the song better if the music were louder?

Well, I'm disappointed that nobody wrote a rebuttal to this, or went to the
trouble to obsessively compare RGLB with something by Maroon 5 note for
note. :)  I was hoping for discussion, or argument, or whatever, but I guess
everybody likes it the way it is.  So, I tried an experiment...

I played RGLB today for a girlfirend who is 23 and kind of into the local
music scene (plays percussion) and asked her to critique it by today's
standards.  She thought the vocals kind of overpower the music--and this
without any hints from me.  Aha.  ;)

She did nail it as The Who, BTW, and not because she recognized Roger's
voice, which is kind of interesting.  I thought this didn't sound like
anything they've ever done before (change in style, different bass), but she
said they have a recognizable falling three chord cadence that tags the
music.  Presumably this is Pete's compositions, which are most often heard.
Anybody else notice this?

keets