God Schmod....

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Jun 29 20:41:42 CDT 2004

> Actually, the original Hebrew means something like
> "ritually impure," NOT unclean.  The mistranslation,
> sometimes deliberate, gives the impression that a
> woman who is niddah (menstruating) is dirty, but
> that's not the case at all.  She's just at a different
> spiritual level.  The laws surrounding this (taharat
> hamishpacha, or family purity) are very interesting
> and beautiful; it's a pity so many people
> misunderstand them.

What about these:

If a woman has borne a man child, she shall be unclean for
seven days, and she is separated for her infirmity.  She shall
continue in the blood of her purifying 33 days; she shall touch
no hollowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days
of her purifying be fulfilled. - Leviticus 12

But if she has borne a maid child, then she shall be unclean
66 days, and she must then make a sin offering as an atone-
ment for bearing a female. - Leviticus 12

A woman is unclean until evening after engaging in the sex
act.  She must bathe. - Leviticus 15

After sexual intercourse with a menstruating woman, a man
is unclean for seven days.  So is the bed. - Leviticus 15
(The *bed,* too, is at a "different spiritual level?" - Schrade)

A woman is unclean if she has any bleeding after menstruation.
Seven days of separation are required to cleanse her, after
the bleeding stops.  Furniture she sits upon is unclean, & so
is anyone who touches that furniture.  That person must bathe
& wash his clothes.  The offending woman must make a sin
offering. - Leviticus 15

Sounds to me like some seriously sexist men attempting to
interpret a mysterious female bodily function &, in so doing,
relegating them to a lesser status than men.

All this from the Mosaic law ordained by God through his
servant Moses.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some furniture to wash.

- SCHRADE in Akron

John Kerry For President
http://www.johnkerry.com/