The one note....spoon-fed

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 10:07:02 CDT 2004

>Perry Como, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Pat Boone.

>I'm not THAT old! I was a teen in the 70's.

I'm not sure that many people will recognize the relationship, even if they
ARE that old.  But Elvis does have that sort of crooner tone.  In the
fifties and sixties, most of the teens and twenty-somethings cut their
eyeteeth on Sinatra, and the American scene continued with variations on
that sound well up into the sixties.  I gather it was popular in the UK,
too, as The Who recorded some of it, but most of the cutting edge musicians
were listening to the pirate radio.

>>Elvis was the transition from the crooner age to rock and roll.  If Elvis
>>had slowed the beat down a bit, he would have fit right into the line-up.

>And The Beatles were playing the same music as Elvis, until the Beatles
>starting "altering" their music.

Without going back to check on their first album, I don't recall hearing
crooner technique on it.  The difference was, they took the beat and ran
with it.

>>nice girl would be interested in, but The Beatles were.

>Not really. They looked like girls. I know it's hard
to believe NOW, but they were hooligans, snide and
sarcastic and not what "nice girls" wanted. Nice girls
wanted nice boys like Fabian or Frankie Avalon.

The parents all thought they looked like girls, but the girls didn't, and as
I said, the hooligan part wasn't immediately obvious.  The media campaign
that introduced The Beatles to the US was very well done.  Not only did we
see UK girls swooning over them, but they had really sweet, assessible
smiles.  Ringo was the only one that looked suspiciously snide.

>>Chuck and the Blues musicians might have been accepted in the UK and
>>Europe, but not in the US.

>Excuse me, I was there. Not only were Berry and old
Blues musicans shown on regular TV (variety) shows,
they and American RnR bands were shown more than
British ones. Hullabaloo, Shindig, American Bandstand,
Smothers Brothers, Ed Sullivan, etc...they all showed
black musicicans. James Brown, for instance, got a lot
of airtime.

Okay, maybe so.  I just don't remember seeing it.  I took a quick look at
the IMDB and don't see a lot of appearances there, either, but maybe their
fans just aren't taking care of entries.

>>And I don't recall that drugs was immediately evident as a factor
in the British Invasion.

>I specifically said "after 1965." That was after the
British Invasion.

The Who didn't put in a visible appearance until 1967.  I'll agree that by
the time of Woodstock it was over, and the seventies had dawned.  How about
1968 as the transition year?  That still gives you two years of the sixties.

I'm not saying that experimentation with drugs wasn't going on all that
time, but the social trends that were gestating in the music scene lagged
behind.  The change wasn't apparent to the general public until Woodstock
hit the news.

>>Acid rock had come of age.

>That happened in 1967, not the 70's. Hendrix, Cream,
Jefferson Airplane, etc. and so on. More bands I could
possibly list here. By the 70's, it was called Synth
Rock. Yes, ELP, Todd Rundgren, Manfred Mann's Earth
Band and so on.

Okay, close enough.  That still gives you about the two years.

:)
keets