The heart of The Who speaks!

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 01:11:49 CDT 2004

>>Pete spoke of the "Note." The Universal chord. What a discovery!

>Did Pete really "discover" that concept?  Keets?  Lil' help......

Er, no.  This one goes back a ways.   Of course, Pete has his own unique
take on it, but the concept has also appeared in other musical
compositions--one that springs to mind is the Moody Blues' IN SEARCH OF THE
LOST CHORD (om).  Also, here's an old song that I recall hearing as a kid:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/lostchor.htm

The connection of music with both science and metaphysics seems to at least
as old as recorded history.  Science didn't have to get very far along
before the scientists (then called philosophers) noticed the harmonies of
nature and related them to the harmonies of music.  Pythagoras and Jubal are
listed as early thinkers on the subject:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5.geometry/unit3/unit3.html#Music%20of%20the%20Spheres

Here's an interesting reference that quotes Plato and Aristotle, as well as
providing some other interesting stuff.  I gather these early writings are
the basis for Kepler's later notions on the "Music of the Spheres."

http://www.origincodes.com/music_spheres.htm

Also, Pete credits some of his ideas to the Sufi masters, and has a quote
from Inayat Khan on his website as one of the sources for Lifehouse:

"Music creates that resonance which vibrates through the whole being,
lifting the thought above the denseness of matter; it almost turns matter
into spirit, into it's original condition through the harmony of vibrations
touching every atom of one's whole being". "The way in which we can find our
own place is to tune our instrument to the keynote of the chord to which we
belong. Sound is the force which groups all things from atoms to worlds".

BTW, it's interesting to research Meher Baba on the web.  Pete seems to be
permanently intertwined with the references because of his music.

>>God put into every human being on earth an organ called our spirit.
>This is a fact.

>That's a lie, Jon.  Shame on you.  What "organ?"

I'll vote for the brain, which is the organ behind most of our troubles.
Many folks will insist that "the soul" is separate from the brain, but in my
case, that's just where I live.  More Jung, anyone?

>Oh yeah, well bull-fucking-shit.  Prove it.  Prove it.  Prove it.  It's all
lame mythological, new-age, religious nonsense.  You *know* it is.
It was created by man in a time when knowledge of his/her place in
the universe was limited to conjecture & fear.  You *know* it.  Em-
brace the light of truth!!  I command you!!  Release yourself from your
wretched suffering!!  Join me & we'll read astronomy books all day
long!!  And books on evolution, too!!  Let's discover the world!!
Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!

Now, now.   :)

It's nice to putter around with knowledge of our place in the universe, but
when you finish puttering and look up, it's still all conjecture and fear.
The stars are terrifying.  We are so small in this huge place we call the
universe, and so lost.  It's impossible not to hope there's something out
there that will take care of us.

>>God is food.

>God is deceit, God is death, God is ignorance, God is evil, God is lies,
God is imprisonment, God is backwards, God is weak, God is inconsist-
ent, God is chauvinistic, God is racist, & God is homophobic.

You know this is just Man trying to disguise himself as God.

>Fortunately for us, God doesn't exist.  But unfortunately for us, many
people think "He" does.  Yuck.

I'll agree that the God most people believe in doesn't exist.  But there are
concepts and ideas beyond that which allow you to deal with spiritual
matters.  Do you believe in the One Note?  Why are you hanging around The
Who if you don't hear it?  ;)

keets