Fuse channel/Will it play?

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Sat Jun 26 10:58:24 CDT 2004

>  Kids have no idea who they are, so there is no baggage.

That may be true for younger children but I think a lot of college-age kids
have a surprisingly well-informed understanding of '60s- & '70s-era
groups.

There doesn't seem to be that barrier today preventing young adults from
embracing rock groups that had their heyday in the past.  Their preferred
music is both modern & classic at the same time.  There's no embarrassment
anymore if you profess to enjoy the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, or The
Who.

I frequent a local club that caters mostly to college kids & along with the
Hives, the Strokes, the White Stripes, etc., the DJ plays the Stones, The
Who, the Beatles, T-Rex, & more.  And the kids dance.  They accept it.

I think it may have to do with the fact that a lot of the good dance/club
music came about during the '80s & '90s.  Bands like New Order, The
Cure, The Smiths, etc. are still played & accepted by today's college kids.

And I think today's college kids are of the opinion that, if they can enjoy
music from *one* or *two* decades ago, there's no reason to draw the line
there, & it's OK to go back even further & embrace the music of the '60s
& '70s.

That's a good sign, IMO.  It means kids today are looking at Rock as an
entire *history* of possibly exciting music, & not just focusing on the
*current* hip bands.

- SCHRADE in Akron

John Kerry For President
http://www.johnkerry.com/