Merry Christmas Mr. Who (and the song is just begun)

mobailey at ntlworld.com mobailey at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 24 03:58:27 CDT 2004

> Message: 12
> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 07:44:47 EDT
> From: Jdtr006 at aol.com
> Subject: Re: Hello From Duke/Who Stuff for Sale
> To: thewho at igtc.com
>
> I'm confused, what is The Merry Xmas Mr. Who?  That one is new to
> me...Thanks...Sandy

This is a Quadrophenia-era bootleg.  The performance is a bit messy, due to the infamous problems they had playing it live at the time.  But it's interesting to hear, nonetheless.

Full title is: "Merry Christmas Mr. Who (and the song is just begun)"

I actually bought this CD from MVC (a UK "respectable" CD chain).  God only knows how this boot ended up on their shelves.

Much more info can be found at:

http://www.thewho.net/bootlegs/bootlegs/cds/merrychristmas1.html

Which says:

------------------------------

Venue: Sundown Theatre, Edmonton, North London, UK, Sunday, December 23, 1973
Recording: Audience
Comments: Another one of those rare 1973 Quadrophenia Tour shows which
caused a lot of problems because of constant out-of-sync backing tapes. The Who
had played the Sundown Theatre the previous evening as well as December 18th
and 19th. This was the last show of 1973 and a pretty good one at that. Pete's
guitar jams on 5:15 and Drowned are incredible. He combines some excellent string
play with his trademark strums. Pete's lead guitar jam / improvisation is strongly re-
miniscent of Deep Purple's "Woman From Tokyo". PT and RD also interact with the
audience way beyond just explaining Quadrophenia, there is also a good deal of
banter and joking around. "Merry fucking christmas" quips Pete. The subtitle (and
the song is just begun) is actually taken from PT's stage announcement / dialog
and it appears to my ears that he's actually saying "and it's only just begun" based
on the spoken context. If only the sound quality matched the performance. However,
I'd still buy this one again based on performance alone!!! Compare with part
two of this show listed above.

  1. I Am The Sea - The Real Me
  2. Relay (sic Punk Meets The Godfather)
  3. I Am One