Roger presents Clash with award

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 06:30:37 CDT 2004

>From The Independent at:
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/story.jsp?story=534271

Pomp (and pomposity) at MOJO pop awards
By Ian Burrell Media Editor

There was pageantry, pomp and - thanks to Sting - not
a little pomposity as music's aristocracy gathered in
Whitehall yesterday for a long afternoon of exchanging
gongs and pickling livers.

In the most sumptuous of settings - Inigo Jones's
17th-century Banqueting House - an almost
unprecedented array of musical greats gathered to chew
on beef and mash, to quaff wine and occasionally gaze
up at ceilings by Rubens.

Across the road from Downing Street, the first MOJO
Honours List awards attracted an array of talent that
would have had aspirant guitar hero Tony Blair
despairing at his inability to throw a tea party that
rocks.

They were all there. From the Godfather of Soul, James
Brown, to the King of the Mods, Roger Daltrey, and the
founder of Ska, Dennis Alcapone.

The event began with the extraordinary sight of four
Household Cavalry trumpeters, marching down the
central aisle to the sound of reggae. After a fanfare
from the cavalrymen, Daltrey climbed on stage to
announce that the MOJO Inspiration award - for the
band that most inspired the magazine's readers to make
music themselves - had been won by The Clash.

Mick Jones, guitarist and songwriter with The Clash,
stepped up to join The Who frontman and paid tribute
to his fellow band members, Paul (Simenon), Topper
(Headon) and "the late, great, Joe" (Strummer). He
thanked those who had encouraged The Clash to follow
their chosen path and, apparently smitten by the
ornate surroundings, observed that "looking here,
under Rubens, you know we were right".

Davies was next up, to accept MOJO's Songwriter award,
for which The Kinks singer seemed genuinely touched,
saying that the votes of readers gave the awards an
"aura of authenticity" at a time when "so many things
these days are fixed".

Except for a discernible tension, bordering on panic,
that accompanied the realisation that the venue was
non-smoking, the event passed off rather tamely for
what had been billed as an occasion of bacchanalian
excess.

Sting, who landed the Mondial award for music that has
crossed boundaries, introduced a political dimension
by berating the warring factions in the Middle East
for failing to heed his message of peace in "Desert
Rose", his collaboration with the Algerian artist Cheb
Mami.

"Our politicians, our so-called religious leaders, do
nothing but separate us," said Sting, advising his
fellow musicians to take on their "responsibility" to
bring harmony to the world. "Unless we get together we
are fucked," he said.

Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin drew the first standing
ovation of the afternoon as he was given MOJO's
Maestro award for his mould-breaking guitar licks.

James Brown was honoured with a Lifetime Achievement
award, presented to him by Marianne Faithfull, who,
avoiding understatement, described the handing over of
the gong as "one of the greatest moments of my life".
Brown responded by thanking "all you beautiful people"
in the room.

"When I go home I'm a miserable man. But when I come
out here I'm a happy man," he said. "May God bless the
world, especially MOJO right here and England. I want
to say 'Aaoow!'"

THE WINNERS

* Icon award: Morrissey

* Inspiration award: The Clash

* Songwriter award: Ray Davies

* Hall of Fame: Arthur Lee

* Classic Album award: Television

* Medal: Geoff Travis

* Image award (to music photographer): Bob Gruen

* Lifetime achievement award: James Brown

* Hero award: Roger McGuinn

* Mondial award: Sting

* Special award: The Shadows

* Maestro award: Jimmy Page

* Maverick award: Red Hot Chilli Peppers

* Catalogue release of the year: Muzik City

* Vision award (best music DVD package of the year):
Led Zeppelin

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!