Q:Is it just me? A:Just about.

O'Neal, Kevin W. Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org
Mon Jun 21 10:20:20 CDT 2004

>From: "Jim M" <petenotped at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Is it just me?
>
>But, during YBYB, EF and RGLB she was shooting looks like, "what is
this shit they're wasting my time with?"  She was
>also pretty pissed that TKAA was relegated to part of MG.  "What is
this, a medley?"

Note to self:
Don't go to a show with people like Jim's friend described above.

>Anyway, then there were the fans, and I noticed a lot of them, who were
really digging RGLB.

I thought RGLB got great responses.

>They obviously had heard it before and many were singing along.  What's
my point?  I don't know,

I do!
Your friend is the sort of Who fan that should stay in the rear of the
lawn seats.
Or, just listen to classic rock stations.
Ya need to dig deeper.  Ya need to be involved.  Ya need to look at the
whole picture.

>I guess it's that their work hasn't been "up to their best efforts"
>or thirty years or so, but I'm still happy for every new song I get
from Pete and Roger.

By sheer definition alone, only the *best* work will be "up to their
best efforts."  That means the majority of any artists work will fall
short of this lofty goal.  That doesn't mean it's bad, or not good, or
just "eh"...it just means it's not their best.  So what?

>From: Sroundtable at aol.com
>Subject: Re: high and mighty
>
>I hate to see mis-representations made on this list, so I can't and
won't let
>them go.

Ohhhhh, but you *could*!  You just *choose* not to.

>Maybe in your universe, "high and mighty" is an insult.  In
>everyone else's, it just sarcasm.

Don't speak for me.
I too found it to be an insult.
Gregg obviously intended it to be.
But, again, why not shut up and let **Gregg** defend himself?
He's the one that wrote it.

>This being stated, if you desire to continue this ridiculous debate,
<snip>

The one you started and continue to breath life into?

>From: Anna Mormack <carrieanne79 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Is it just me?

>I haven't heard the two new songs yet

GASP!!!

> (don't feel
>right about downloading songs from the internet; even
>for a cheap price, it just smacks of piracy and
>cheating the artists of money they worked hard for to
>produce their art, and amn't interested in getting
>'Then and Now'),

It's not piracy and The Who gets paid.
What's the problem??
itunes has a contract with The Who to forward proceeds (or a % there
of).

>I happen to love IH,

Me too.

>and while FD isn't a great album,
>it's what I consider to be a solid 4-star effort,

I'll give it 3 stars.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Is it just me?
>
>As usual, Whofans are full of complaints about the two tracks.

Misrepresentation...
*Some* Whofans have *some* complaints.
*MOST* Who fans absolutely adore both songs, with most having a
preference of one over the other.
Fan reaction at the shows has been very positive.

>From: Keithjmoon70 at aol.com
>Subject: Re: Is it just me?
>
>Great post, Keets. You are on fire!

Someone get a hose.

Keet's post represents about 90% of the complaints I've read on all
lists.
Too negative for me these days.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Is it just me?
>
>Thanks, Jon.  I'm feeling really critical tonight, I guess.

Some people can't handle their liquor.

>From: "Paul Paul" <oyster99 at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Is it just me?
>
>Most of my
>friends consider me to be a cantankerous old git anyway,

Not me.
Just a ticket with unrealistic expectations for the first new tracks
that were "released" as an end-note to a new greatest hits collection
pushed by a new label.

I think everyone would benefit from waiting for the official release of
the new CD (official release), where these new songs can be judge in
context, before ripping them a new one.

It's like seeing a couple frames of a movie, and casting judgment on
that.
(not meaning to say you all shouldn't post your HO's....)

Kevin in VT

Confidentiality Notice: