Lost Clash tribute to Keith Moon

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 06:21:45 CDT 2004

Mick Jones of The Clash picks his favorite British
albums.

>From The Guardian at:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,13887,1241898,00.html

Mick Jones
The Clash
Thursday June 17, 2004

1. Sunny Afternoon: The Kinks
On the budget priced Marble Arch Label. The title
track is my favourite song ever.

2. I-Wah-Dub: Dennis 'Blackbeard' Bovell
One of the revolutionary producers finest moments
along with the 'Babylon' soundtrack and 'Cut' by the
Slits.

3. The Winkies: The Winkies
Produced by 'London Calling' producer Guy Stevens.
This band was on the pub rock scene circa 1975. Cover
by Hypnosis, they backed Eno around the time of
'Taking Tiger Mountain.'

4. Disraeli Gears: The Cream
The first record I bought with my own money. It was
32s 6d. 'My baby has gone down the plughole.'

5. Wildlife: Mott The Hoople
With some school friends I used to follow Mott around.
We used to bunk the trains and then bunk into the
gigs. When they got to know us a bit they used to let
us all in and always treated us well.

6. Exile On Main Street: the Rolling Stones
'Sticky Fingers,' 'Get Your Ya Ya's Out,' 'Goatshead
Soup,' 'Beggars Banquet,' 'Their Satanic Majesties,'
'Let It Bleed'...... it could have been any of these
but for total absolute feel it has to be 'Exile.'
Records used to come out on Thursdays so by the
Saturday, if you were into a band, you knew all the
tracks by heart.

7. Magical Mystery Tour: The Beatles
The same for the Beatles as the Stones - all of their
albums are great but some are greater than others.
This is a personal favourite of mine - it's such a mad
project, some say folly, but what do they know. Double
E.P. really.

8. Smash Hits: Jimi Hendrix
NOT STRICTLY BRITISH but we kinda claimed him as our
own. Picasso with a guitar.

9. Who's Next - The Who
Many years ago Joe and I wrote this song - 'Tribute to
Keith Moon.' And we sorta lost it in tribute to Keith
Moon I suppose. This is greatness personified on a
record.

10. Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars: Ziggy
Stardust & the Spiders From Mars
It was like this is the concept, but to us. The band
was really upset when Ziggy broke the band up.

11. The Libertines: The Libertines (the new one)
A future classic - believe. All time great.