Side by side with Aerosmith

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Sun Jun 20 23:48:40 CDT 2004

> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:21:12 -0400
> From: "Kevin O'Neal" <kevinandt at gmavt.net>
>>
>> Why see it as a competition?
>
> Everything is a competition.
> Trust me.  I've devoted much of my life avoiding it.  It's a full time
> job.

I don't see it, except in the broadest sense that The Who are competing
against Aerosmith for the public's limited entertainment dollar.  But
in that sense they're competing against Brittany Spears, L'il Bow Wow
etc.  I'd say that The Who appeals to a relatively small (in a global
sense) market niche, as does classic rock in general, and only in a
very few cases is it the case that dollars spent on The Who will
directly be taken away from Aerosmith, and vice versa.

> I, for one, like seeing the boys get paid.
> I also like it when others see in The Who what I (we) have all seen
> for a
> long time.
> I also like it when things happen that encourage Pete and Roger to
> bring us
> more goodies.

I like all these things.

> Who cares about the Japanese audience ??  (no offense to our fine Who
> fans
> from Japan...)
> The press is watching.

I doubt that the press needs Japan to know what The Who's about.  There
have been many chances for a writer to see The Who in the last two
years for those who care.  And for those writers who need Japan and
Australia shows, I still see no shame in writing that Aerosmith and The
Who both presented kickass shows (assuming they did).  Case in point,
many reviews of the Isle of Wight gave large props to both The Who and
Bowie, without penalizing one for the merits of the other.

Or let's say The Who *are* written up as big surprises who did the best
show of the day.  Assuming Aerosmith gives their typical show, simple
honesty should require that they did a good show as well, which will
please their fans and still let them make a fair chunk of change.

>> The only difference I see is that Aerosmith is likely to have more
>> fans in Japan due to their exposure and touring schedules.
>
> Right.  And if The Who blow them away?  If The Who get the headlines,
> leaving Aerosmith scratching their heads??

Then I think it's very possible that an injustice will be done to a
good Aerosmith show.

>> I think any Japanese RnR fan will be either very happy or
>> simply blown away by the two shows.
>
> And this is bad, how???

It's not.

> The way I see it, The Who have much to gain, and Aerosmith has much to
> lose.

I just don't see it as a zero-sum game; I think there's plenty of
recognition, honor, respect and bucks to be had and made by both bands
if they do their jobs.

Cheers,
Alan
Townshend, 1967