Smacking of piracy

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Sun Jun 20 18:42:57 CDT 2004

In a message dated 6/20/2004 8:20:24 AM Central Daylight Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

> I haven't heard the two new songs yet (don't feel
> right about downloading songs from the internet; even
> for a cheap price, it just smacks of piracy and
> cheating the artists of money they worked hard for to
> produce their art, and amn't interested in getting
> 'Then and Now'), so I can't comment on if I find them
> good or not or up to earlier Who standards.

Anna:

Think of it this way- on I-tunes you will be paying $.99 for each track.  On
a standard CD these days there are 10-15 tracks (usually with added live
tracks to fill out the CD).  If one paid for each song on I-tunes, they'd be paying
$10-15, which is roughly the price of the CD, anyway (though a slightly
discounted rate).  At worst, you are paying a slightly discounted rate for the
songs, and the artists do reap the benefits of your purchase.  For this reason, I
don't think you should feel the least bit guilty or hesitant to buy the tracks
on I-tunes.  After all, if Pete and Roger and their label didn't think it was
profitable, they wouldn't have authorized their releases for download.
Actually, I quite appreciate not having to buy the entire T&N compilation to hear
the two new tracks.  I already have everything on T&N and am not one who needs
to have every release The Who comes out with.

Mc