Is it just me?

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 19 22:32:27 CDT 2004

>Well, a couple of weeks back I finally got to hear the 2 new songs. I have
>to be honest and
say that I think they are terrible - well, terrrible by Who standards anyhow
- RGLB sounds like it could have been a Morrissey single, lol. If they had
been released as PT solo records they might have been acceptable, but this
is patently not The Who and anyone who believes it is must be deluding
themselves.

As usual, Whofans are full of complaints about the two tracks.  I've heard
some comments like yours, Paul.  Some others have complained specifically
about the production and at least one about digital recording instead of
analog.  Some have said the lyrics are weak and some think the lyrics are
fine and the music is weak.  At least one fan complained because the tracks
didn't include The Who's trademark synthesizers and prog rock effects.  The
moral of this story is that you can't please everybody, so you just have to
please yourself.  ;)

That said, I was disappointed with the tracks, myself, because I don't think
they spent enough time on them.  I did post a comment a while back that the
remaining Beatles had recorded a song together on a DAT recorder and
released the results.  No muss, no fuss, no production problems.  The result
was simple and unpolished.  However, I'm thinking now that this is not the
right strategy for Who2.

For one thing, the simplicity and return to basics trend has passed its
peak, and now albums are becoming more polished again.  (Anybody agree?
Disagree? Is this right?)  And then the main point:  The Who have made a
phenomenonal return by hitting with everything they've got.  A new album is
not the time to wimp out, to make half an effort, or to back up into it with
dire predictions of failure.  The new album should be Who2 with all guns
blazing.  Big bass, big power chords, big drums, scintillating keyboards,
primal screams.  Balanced, of course, by a few lovely, delicate, sensitive
seekings in between.  Quad II, anyone?

I think the lyrics on RGLB are terrific and ORW average, but the music fails
on both.  Good lyrics are important, but as David Gilmour says, the music
has got to come first.  If it doesn't catch your ear playing behind ten
thousand other distractions, then no one will ever listen to hear the
lyrics.  The Who knew this in 1967.

keets