Pavel's anti-new Who rant

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Sat Jun 19 19:25:11 CDT 2004

In a message dated 6/19/2004 11:15:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
thewho-request at igtc.com writes:

> I am sure that my remarks will anger some people, but my opinion is as
> valid
> as anyone else's, seeing as I have spent tons of money over the years buying
>
> their records and seeing their gigs, etc. I would describe myself as a fan
> of The Who and of PT as an artist, and I love and adore the music they made
> when they were a vital and real band, but I loath and despise just about
> everything they have done since "You better you bet". True, they do lot's of
>
> good work for charity, but at what cost to their legend and to their status
> as the greatest rock band of all time? Please fuck off and die before you do
>
> any more damage.
>
> So once again I ask, is it just me who feels this way?
>
> Cheers
>
> Pavel

Pavel:

You are definitely not the only one who feels this way, and not the only one
on this list.  However, I disagree with your opinion, regardless of how legit
it might be.  The new songs aren't in The Who's top 20, but I have to disagree
about them not being worthy of being Who songs.  I find myself singing RGLB
or having it in my head quite a bit.  There is a genuine, emotional quality to
it that makes it endearing.  ORW is not quite as strong atrack, IMHO, but it
rings true, as well- especially with the end jam.

Now, if these are the two strongest tracks on a hypothetical album, then I
would agree that the album would be a failure.  BUT, if they are the 5th or 6th
best songs, the album will kick ass.  It won't be like FD and IH, which were
written when Pete wasn't in the best frame of mind considering Keith's death,
his own addiction problems, and his own solo aspirations.  At the time I don't
think he wanted to write songs for the Who, which is why the albums sound more
like Townshend solo projects.

Now, I can definitively PROVE that they shouldn't hang it up.  Their concerts
are still amazing.  They are time transcendent.  They still WOW crowds and
fans of all ages and continue to garner rave reviews.  AND, it has been reported
that RGLB holds up really well as a live offering.  When was the last concert
you attended?  If they can still hit on all cylinders, why should they hang
it up?  I saw seven shows on the 2002 tour with identical setlists, and I
wasn't bored for even a second.  Who knows what the new album will hold, if it
happens?  But if we get even 2 or 3 songs that touch us in some way, and we get
another tour, it will be worth it to me.

Mc