Is it just me?

Paul Paul oyster99 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 19 06:08:32 CDT 2004

Hello there, Who fans from planet Earth

It's Pavel from Czech Republic again

Somebody help me out here, because I think I am possibly living in some
bizarre parallel universe or something, and I think I'm in a minority of
people who feel the same. The cause of this confusion? Well, a couple of
weeks back I finally got to hear the 2 new songs. I have to be honest and
say that I think they are terrible - well, terrrible by Who standards anyhow
- RGLB sounds like it could have been a Morrissey single, lol. If they had
been released as PT solo records they might have been acceptable, but this
is patently not The Who and anyone who believes it is must be deluding
themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I am a lifelong fan of this band, my all time fave band
in fact, but to put these 2 songs out on a compilation alongside the
illustrious company of "Substitute" or "I can see for miles" or any of the
great pantheon of songs recorded between 1964 and 1978 is nothing more than
ridiculous and underestimates the intelligence of their audience. How can
they possibly call this The Who?

Remember The Jam? Remember The Police? I do. And I also remember that these
2 bands knew when to call it a day. The Jam split after a string of number 1
UK 45s and LPs, as did The Police. That is how to retire with dignity and to
leave one's legend intact. Last night, my own band Parafina, played a gig in
Poland, and we received three encores by the enthusiastic audience. However,
we had to say no to a fourth, for these very same reasons. Barnum was right.
Everyone cried when The Jam broke up, but the fact is that 20 years down the
line, they are still remembered with respect and they made no shitty
records. Unfortunately, The Who HAVE made shitty records, much as it pains
me to admit this. The stark reality of the matter is that The Who have
existed for twice the length of time as a pointless and unnecessary band
than they did as a vital and original band. Do the math. The 2 Kenny Jones
LPs have probably 3 decent songs between them, which also could have been
equally or better served as PT or JAE solo projects. And let's have a look
at the best of The Who 1983 - 2004, shall we? An execrable cover of Arthur
Brown's "Fire" and the even worse "Dig" on PT's dire "Iron Man" LP, a not
bad cover of Dame Elton's "Saturday night...." and these two ghastly tracks
on the compilation. For heaven's sake and for the sake of your reputation
and respect, please (and I mean this in the nicest way possible), please
break up and don't ever reform again.

I am sure that my remarks will anger some people, but my opinion is as valid
as anyone else's, seeing as I have spent tons of money over the years buying
their records and seeing their gigs, etc. I would describe myself as a fan
of The Who and of PT as an artist, and I love and adore the music they made
when they were a vital and real band, but I loath and despise just about
everything they have done since "You better you bet". True, they do lot's of
good work for charity, but at what cost to their legend and to their status
as the greatest rock band of all time? Please fuck off and die before you do
any more damage.

So once again I ask, is it just me who feels this way?

Cheers

Pavel