Side by side with Aerosmith

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Fri Jun 18 15:08:32 CDT 2004

>Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:16:10 EDT
>From: Sroundtable at aol.com
>
>>  I'm no Aerosmith fan, but they *are* the only 60's/70's band that really
>>  has crossed the generation line into "today's" music scene.  MTV
>>  darlings, they are.
>>
>>  If they (The Who) kick Aerosmith's ass off the stage, the sky is the
>  > limit.
>
>... Real music fans will prefer The Who, but the average concert
>goer is just there for entertainment, and without John and Keith,
>Aerosmith will
>be perceived as wilder.  Hopefully the sustance of The Who will convince the
>crowd of what we know to be the truth.

Why should I care?  Why see it as a competition?  Out of xxx,000
Japanese audience members, some percentage will be impressed enough
to go out and buy some Who merchandise and some smaller percentage
will become fans.  No real problem if those percentages are higher or
lower than Aerosmith's percentages.  I see Aerosmith every chance I
get.  They put on a damn good show.  It's not as spiritually
fulfilling, for me, as a Who show, but it's more than worth what I
pay for it and I certainly don't give a flip if somebody else likes
them more than The Who.  That's what Aerosmith fan lists are for.

The only difference I see is that Aerosmith is likely to have more
fans in Japan due to their exposure and touring schedules.  So The
Who are more likely to surprise the audiences with the quality and
authenticity of their show if anyone's expecting an oldies nostalgia
act.  I think any Japanese RnR fan will be either very happy or
simply blown away by the two shows.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."