BBC review of IOW

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 06:25:44 CDT 2004

>From BBC SOuthampton at:
http://shorterlink.com/?AIYAOF
also has pictures of the boys.

Isle of Wight Festival 2004 Review Day 2
35, 000 people sardined themselves into a sun-filled
Seaclose Park for day two's events with acts from all
over the globe performing. BBC Southampton's Abbie
Collins looks back at the onstage action.

...As Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend emerged on
stage a huge roar erupted from the 35,000 strong
crowd. Any worries about whether these old rockers
still had it in them were immediately quashed when
they got stuck straight in with I Can't Explain.

>From then on it was two hours of back to back hits.
They knew exactly what we wanted from them. Won't Get
Fooled Again, See Me, Feel Me, Pinball Wizard,
Substitute and even My Generation were all played to
perfection. Daltrey's voice was still on form, even if
there were a few high notes that he couldn't quite
reach.

Looking slick in a black suit and shades, Townshend
played his guitar the way he always has, windmilling
madly at the end of every song, and he and Daltrey
managed those all-important Who harmonies with ease.

Even though original Who members, the late Keith Moon
and John 'The Ox' Entwistle, were sorely missed, an
impressive line-up of musicians were brought in to
fill the roles including Ringo Starr's son, Zak
Starkey, on drums and Townsend's brother Simon on
guitar.

Laughing and joking throughout the set, the Daltrey
and Townshend found time to poke fun at Paul McCartney
and reminisce about the last time they played the
festival way back in 1970.

With such an amazing end to a great day in the sun, we
headed out of the park to slap on the aftersun and get
some rest, ready for all the action on day three.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com