You Am I to meet you know Who

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 06:41:21 CDT 2004

>From AAP at:
http://shorterlink.com/?EUE23C

You Am I to meet you know Who
June 15, 2004 - 4:12PM

You Am I guitarist David Lane has idolised The Who
since he was a child, dreaming of one day meeting the
legendary rockers.

And next month he will get his chance.

"It is something that seems so surreal that I will
really only believe it when I am actually there," Lane
said.

You Am I will support The Who for the legendary band's
three-date Australian tour which begins in Sydney on
July 28 before moving to Melbourne.

The Who last toured the country in 1968, swearing
never to return after misbehaving, alcohol and bad
language got them escorted by police off a plane,
banned from their connecting flight and grounded for
hours.

The deaths of The Who's drummer, Keith Moon, in 1978
and bassist John Entwistle in 2002 mean a different
line-up will play.

Original members Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey will
be joined by Townsend's younger brother, Simon, Ringo
Starr's son Zak Starkey, John Bundrick and Pino
Palladino.

"It just seems such an unbelievable thing to happen
just because The Who have always meant so much to me,"
Lane said.

"They were the first ever band that I loved and
something just seemed quite a bit surreal about the
whole thing."

Support bands, no matter how famous or well known they
are in their own right, don't often get a lot of time
with the headline act.

But Lane is hoping to steal a few minutes with
Townsend and Daltrey between sets.

"I have been going over in my head for the last 15
years about what it would be like to meet one of the
guys in The Who," he said.

"I just hope I catch them on a good day. I guess with
anybody meeting their heroes, you kind of tend to be a
bit tentative about it in case it might wreck it for
you."

You am I, which has released eight albums, have taken
a break over the past year, working on individual
projects.

Lane plays in another band while frontman Tim Rogers
has been working on a solo record.

"We have all had a bit of time off but ... I'm looking
forward to getting out and playing a bit again," Lane
said.

He said the band would record a new album later this
year.

"Tim has got a few songs on the boil and hopefully we
will be making a record at some stage before the end
of the year or early next year," Lane said.

"I have heard a couple of things that sound really
good so we are going to get into the rehearsal room
before we go out and do these shows and just bash them
out."

But he did not want to give too much away.

"Tim has such a unique style of song writing and it is
hard to know how it is going to sound as a band until
we get in and do it."

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!