NME on Who at IOW

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 19:44:10 CDT 2004

>From New Musical Express at:
http://www.nme.com/news/108809.htm

THE WHO RETURN TO THE ISLE OF WIGHT

THE WHO returned to the ISLE OF WIGHT festival for the
first time yesterday (June 12) since their infamous
extended performance in 1970 on a bill which also
featured THE DOORS, JIMI HENDRIX and EMERSON, LAKE AND
PALMER.

The group closed the second night of the event with a
greatest hits set including 'My Generation', 'Magic
Bus', 'Pinball Wizard' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again'.

Talking to NME.COM, singer Roger Daltrey spoke about
whether any of the bands on this year's bill would
rise the legendary status of the groups playing in the
Sixties. He said: "There are some great bands on. Who
knows - it's in the quality of music in the end. I
think the Manics will, the Stereophonics from last
night (June 11) have also got the potential."

He joked: "Look at us - all we've got left is the
music. All the sex idol thing which was important in
the Sixties has all dropped away from us. So, all is
left is the music and people still want to see it."

At a press conference, he later talked about his
experience at the event in 1970, saying: "I remember
getting drunk with Jim Morrison. We downed about two
bottles of Southern Comfort in front of a huge
bonfire. Then the bugger went and died and didn't buy
his round."

Original Sex Pistols bassist Glen Matlock was spotted
in the crowd yesterday and Daltrey also commented on
the state of the present music industry, saying: "It's
a mess, because it's run by the accountants. It shows
unfortunately... bands can't be as adventurous -
they're not allowed to be. The 'Big Brother' syndrome
spills into the music business... I think what's
needed at the moment is a new Sex Pistols but there
doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon."

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com