Sticks In The Air / Pino / Quadrophenia

Tom Fency tomfency at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:59:10 CDT 2004

Yes, I totally agree with you. The spiritual quest isn't over in
Quadrophenia. Actually, after he ended up with the preacherit's, and  tell
an authoritative God to "Fuck off!" at the drop of a hat, it's when the
spiritual quest really begins...
IMO Quadrophenia represents the end of illusions, mainly all those teenage
illusions. In Jimmy's case mainly the necessity of being accepted by the mod
gang. In order to do so, he gets out of home, got drugged, fight rockers,
everything. But in the end he discovers that all were in vain, all got
messed up, and your hero is nothing more than a drunk bell boy. And
therefore, when the illusions burst out, he gives up of being a mod (is that
the meaninf of the motrobike in the sea?) and start his life as an adult.
Quadrophenia is a little autobiographic too, so to start an adult life to
Jimmy is, like Pete, to ask Love reigns o'er him. Love as a mystical
dimension, a state of being. If this resembles God or not, this is another
completely different story, as we see here...

Tom