Selling out.....on Pino?

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Wed Jun 9 19:37:08 CDT 2004

> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 23:27:47 EDT
> From: Keithjmoon70 at aol.com
>
> amck at thenetdr.com writes:
>   No one on stage can take the attention away from him when he has it,
> and bluntly, no one can show him up and get as big an ovation as he.
>
> So what does that mean?

John pushed Pete from time to time during the shows -- particularly in
his 5:15 solo, which brought down the house every time, and Pete
eventually started trying to top it.  He'd pull focus from Pete during
shows, and Pete would always fight to get it back.  That's not
happening anywhere, anytime during the current shows.

> Do you think he may be purposely keeping the bass
> low so he will get the spotlight?

I don't accuse Pete of purposely keeping the bass low, I think Pino's
playing something Pete can live with, and if we don't like it that's
our problem.

> Has he ever needed any help?

No, the key is, he got stuff _he_ didn't need, but the _show_ did.

> Why did he tell
> Pino to play as loudly as he can bear from the jump?

I have no idea what's going on with Pino's volume.  Despite Pete's post
that he asked Pino to play as loudly as he could bear (2002), many
people reported it being too low for their taste.  Even if he *is*
playing as loud as he can, only two nights ago someone reported
standing in front of him during a show and being unable to hear him.
On top of that, his setup doesn't produce the higher frequencies, so
he's mostly a subaudible rumble.  But it's not just volume alone that
counts, it's skill as well.  I understand that he can play, but his
setup makes it nearly impossible to tell.

Cheers,
Alan
Townshend, 1967