Selling out.....on Pino?

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Tue Jun 8 21:28:26 CDT 2004

> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:59:13 -0400
> From: "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org>
>
> But, things have clearly changed.
> Before John's death, it was The Who.  A living, breathing band.  A
> unit.
> Now, however, it is not.
> It is clearly the Pete and Roger show with support.
> Those are Pete's words.
> Look at his diary entry where he first mentions WHO2.
> He literally states that band that "supports Roger and me."

Right.  More and more fans are pointing this out.  And I'm much closer
than I was before to adopting Marcus Surrelius's position that the band
shouldn't be using the name The Who.  Tour and do the songs, no
question.  But call it the Pete Show.  Or the Pete Townshend Show
featuring Roger Daltrey.  Or Big Bad Blob, I don't care.  But I do know
I'd feel better about going to the shows if they were billed as
something else.  And practically speaking, I have to wonder how hard it
would be to get excellent tickets for a Pete Townshend Show as opposed
to a Who show.  As it is, I'm having to compete a lot harder for the
seats I want simply because "The Who" appears on the marquee.

> So, while I don't believe that Pete is after all the attention for
> himself (as it sounds perhaps that Alan does), I do believe that he
> wants to keep the focus on him and Roger.

I didn't mean to imply that I think Pete wants all the attention for
himself -- he doesn't want 100% of the attention, but just wants 100%
of the attention that he wants :-).  With Roger singing, obviously the
audience focus will be there much of the time.  I think Pete wants to
be able to get the attention whenever he wants it; to control the show,
to jam if and when he feels like it.  Currently, that is the situation.
  No one on stage can take the attention away from him when he has it,
and bluntly, no one can show him up and get as big an ovation as he.

> Pete and Roger have been through too much, and have traveled too far
> to hand over even part of the Who mantle to anyone at this point.
> Again, you can't blame them.

Interesting.  That's another point in favor of hiring Jack Bruce, or
the moral equivalent, on bass.  Someone who could push the music and
play up to Pete's level, but for whom there would be no question of
needing a piece of  The Who's mantle for their own.  Bill it as The Who
with Jack Bruce (or Flea, etc.), if you like, just to make it clear.

Cheers,
Alan
Townshend, 1967