On the job with Pete

Jim M petenotped at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 20:51:36 CDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Schrade"

> Check out this quote:
>
> "To pursue science is not to disparage the things of the spirit.  In fact,
> pursue science rightly is to furnish the framework on which the spirit may
> rise."
>    - Vannevar Bush

Who?  Sure lots of scientists believe in God.  Is it really any less
plausible than the scientific explanations of the universe?  Space and time
began in a single instant and within a billion-trillionth of a second...And
on the second day, God created the Earth...   They sound about the same to
me.

> When I say I had spiritual moments in Yellowstone, that's what I'm talking
> about.  My personal study of science - in Yellowstone's case, the study of
> earth history & geology - made my experiences spiritual.  But it's hard
(!)
> to look at that word ("spiritual") & not think of the divine &
supernatural.

Then you know that it's going to blow some day and fuck us all up in a big
way.  Everyone from Jo in Temecula to KO in Burlington will feel the
effects.

> Yeah, I wish he'd write more songs praising science.  I don't think that's
> gonna happen, though.

He invented the internet.  What more do you want?  (or was that Vannevar
Bush).

Jim M