On the job with Pete

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Jun 8 18:00:08 CDT 2004

> Are we discussing whether those beliefs are correct or whether Pete's
> work refers to them?  It's the latter, right?

Yeah, whether or not "The Seeker" is really about spiritual seeking.
I kinda think it is, but I wanted to point out that, through Pete's intel-
ligent writing, the song can have a more general, non-spiritual interpret-
ation, as well.

> But, does finding God give us all the answers?  I don't think so.  I think
> plenty of people who believe in God are still searching for understanding.

True.  Pete may have found his spiritual awareness but then encountered a
whole new set of questions.  I'll buy that.

> Not every atheist is as contemplative as you are.

They call me the (atheist) seeker!

> I wouldn't question the awe, wonder and connection with the universe that
> you experienced, but I wouldn't call that spirituality.  Spirituality is the
> contemplation of things supernatural and devine.

Not necessarily.  The word ("spirituality") can have non-religious connotations,
as well.  Perhaps that's an example of a deficiency in the language, or perhaps
not.

Check out this quote:

"To pursue science is not to disparage the things of the spirit.  In fact, to
pursue science rightly is to furnish the framework on which the spirit may
rise."
   - Vannevar Bush

When I say I had spiritual moments in Yellowstone, that's what I'm talking
about.  My personal study of science - in Yellowstone's case, the study of
earth history & geology - made my experiences spiritual.  But it's hard (!)
to look at that word ("spiritual") & not think of the divine & supernatural.

> What is God without man?

Nonexistent?  ;-)

> Yes, the Seeker is seeking truth, knowledge, but he seems to be a spiritual
> person who believes in God.  Isn't that how you'd describe Pete?  Haven't
> you expressed pity for him because you can see that in him?

Yeah, I wish he'd write more songs praising science.  I don't think that's
gonna happen, though.

- SCHRADE in Akron

John Kerry For President
http://www.johnkerry.com/