Guitarists on Bass

Karbon Karbon tetrakarbon at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 6 09:07:46 CDT 2004

From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade at akrobiz.com>
Subject: Re: Pino on bass
>>Guitarists can pick up a bass and play it, but they don't have the mindset
>>- what bass is supposed to sound like. :)

>I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that, Karbon 14.  Guitarist Pete
>Town-
>shend plays some pretty nifty bass on the LIFEHOUSE demos.  And guitarist
>Noel Redding became a damn good bassist for The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
>And the guitarist in my band plays a mean bass, too.  ;-)

Hmm.  Well, you're right, Pete Townshend can do some interesting things on
bass.  But, I guess my comment was more of: Not just anyone can pick up a
bass and play it; being a good guitarist doesn't guarantee good bass
playing.

So, I'd consider Townshend/Redding/Your Bassist [;)] as exceptions, rather
than the rule.  I think playing good bass requires a subtle understanding of
how music is layered.

-- Ned Ruggeri