Iron Man

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 19:37:07 CDT 2004

To help the discussion along, would you mind providing a synopsis of the
tale, Tom?  I haven't seen the movie or read the book, and I don't like the
sound of the album, so I haven't played it enough to follow the story.

The last time I checked further east than Europe, dragons still symbolized
passion, and especially sexual passion, so you're probably right about the
significance of the dragon in the story.  If you're right about the Iron
Man,too, it does seem to be about balance.

keets

>I think I finally understood Iron Man. The fable, IMO, talks about the two
main problems of western societies, materialism/consumerism (machines make
machines) and hedonism/alienation (the dragon eating human flesh). The Iron
Man, that destroy machines, is a way to combat greed and profit-oriented
lives, returning to a more balanced state that allow to fight the dragon of
hedonism/alienation -- expressed in sexism, drugs abuse, violence, crimes
and so on.
Iron Man is about temperance, a recurrent theme for Pete Townshend (too much
of anything is too much for me).