On the job with Pete

Keithjmoon70 at aol.com Keithjmoon70 at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 00:12:14 CDT 2004

At work we a had a good solid week of listening to Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Nate
Dogg, West Side Connection and some Tupac on the job.  I have a 4 man crew +
myself.  After listening to the beats and the words intently, the 5 of us came
to the conclusion that without an automatic weapon, a large unit, and the lack
of care about how they are used, these songs are pretty much useless in real
life... So we turned it up.

Actually Dr. Dre is a maestro when it comes to making the background music to
rap songs. (beats) He's quite talented and isn't a joke in that dept.  That's
really what makes the songs hits. Wordwise, its not so much what is said in
rap, but *how* the words are said that make it interesting. (see Snoop Dogg and
Ludacris) It does require talent and these guys are very talented and musical.

OK, I say all this to make clear what an impact Pete had in comparison when I
put in my "The amazing Pete Townshend" disc to "cap" the week off. Since we
critiqued all the songs all week long over and over and discussed each one, we
did the same with Pete's songs.  The big standout was "Can You Help the One
You Really Love" That song puts to rest what Pete's motives are and it shows his
depth of experience and honesty.  He admits that it's not a big thing to do
something nice for someone when, after the brief exchange they stay them and
you stay you and then you go on your merry way.  Things are very easy "when
there's no one in your heart." Brilliant. Not only is that a brilliant statement,
it is extremely wise.  "But I ask you this now..."  What a question!

We are all good at some things.  To merely do what we are good at and share
our success with a stranger or a casual friend is not a difficult thing to do.
For Pete to give a benefit concert or to give money is very honorable. But it
doesn't require that he give his being up.  On the other hand, in order to
love someone unconditionally is next to impossible.  This is a big gamble. And
to love someone who is unlovable requires a miracle.  Who can do this?

Today not only was Pete hailed as "dope" on the acoustic and a genius
composer with a stellar voice to boot, the words to his songs touched us all very
deeply. One of the guys said "Pete has original thoughts and it comes across in
all of his songs. And almost all of his songs are about God."

Jon in Mi.