Reflections on Iron Man

Tom Fency tomfency at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 09:29:55 CDT 2004

I think I finally understood Iron Man. The fable, IMO, talks about the two
main problems of western societies, materialism/consumerism (machines make
machines) and hedonism/alienation (the dragon eating human flesh). The Iron
Man, that destroy machines, is a way to combat greed and profit-oriented
lives, returning to a more balanced state that allow to fight the dragon of
hedonism/alienation -- expressed in sexism, drugs abuse, violence, crimes
and so on.
Iron Man is about temperance, a recurrent theme for Pete Townshend (too much
of anything is too much for me).

Tom