Pino on bass

Frate, Chris (EM, PTL) Chris.Frate at penske.com
Tue Jun 1 11:11:06 CDT 2004

What it really comes down to, I think, is who's in the inner circle? At this
point it's "who do you like to hang with?" If they were really interested in
recreating the old sound, they could have held an audition. God knows that
there are a lot of extremely talented musicians that no one has ever heard
of merely because they are great players who never hooked up with a great
songwriter (I firmly believe that we probably would have never heard of
Roger, John, or Keith if they hadn't hooked up with Pete. Conversely, Pete
probably would have still been successful, but would not have acheived the
legendary status he has now without the other three). One of these great
musicians with a "lead bass" style would have showed up to an audition for
an iconic band such as The Who.

Pino is known to them, has a personality they like, they feel comfortable
with him, and - at around sixty years old - that's what Pete and Roger care
about. I think Kenney and Simon (Phillips) only got booted because the band
couldn't recreate the fire with them in there. For some reason, even though
Pino's style is much more laid back than we fans would like, the fire is
still there, so I don't see any changes forthcoming.

-Chris in Cleveland