Herald Sun on Sydney show

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 13:46:42 CDT 2004

On line at:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10309737%255E2902,00.html

Guess Who's still rockin'
REVIEW by JAMES WIGNEY
01aug04

"I HOPE I die before I get old," might be one of the
most famous lines in rock history, but thousands of
fans last night were thrilled that The Who is still
alive and kicking.

Guitarist and songwriter Pete Townshend was talking
about his generation, but judging by the teenagers
dancing in the aisles at Vodafone Arena last night,
alongside people old enough to be their grandparents,
the songs have lost none of their power.

Thirty six years after its last tour of Australia,
when the band vowed never to return, The Who delivered
a blistering no-nonsense set of hits from the '60s
classic to material from last year.

Led by Townshend and singer Roger Daltrey, the band
came out firing with a bracket of early hits including
I Can't Explain, Substitute and Anyway, Anyhow,
Anywhere.

Despite losing two original members, The Who still
packs an awesome punch.

Zak Starkey, son of Beatle Ringo Starr, deputises for
the late Keith Moon and Pino Palladino sits in for the
recently departed bassist John Entwhistle.

Pete's younger brother, Simon Townshend, chimed in on
rhythm guitar and vocals with long-time touring member
pianist John Bundrick completing the line-up.

Daltrey, 60, swaggers around the stage swinging his
microphone with the energy of a man half his age,
belting through crowd-pleasers Baba O'Riley and Who
Are You.

Townshend, though, steals the show, playing like a man
possessed and combining his trademark windmills,
driving rhythm playing and searing lead work, to show
why he is so revered and imitated in the rock
pantheon.

He leapt around the stage attacking his Stratocaster
during My Generation, Who give-away, had received a
Fender Stratocaster guitar signed by Townshend and
Daltrey, and presented by Daltrey.

Diehard Who fan Bettio was ecstatic to have won the
competition, which attracted more than 7000 entries.

"Ever since I was little I have been listening to The
Who. Pete Townshend is a rock legend. I have a few
guitars already, but this one takes the cake," Bettio
said.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!