White City

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Wed Jul 28 20:23:30 CDT 2004

> I didn't see much of a way for him to come to terms with responsibility, but
> I did get the part about no future and no joy.  Do you think this was Pete's
> point?  He sort of drifts through the film, as if visiting with the past,
> and then walks away at the end.

Well, these are people Pete has ties to, but, like I said, he's left them behind.
Pete is the juxtaposition in the film.  He *may* be as messed up as Jimmy.  But
he's not messed up *in White City.*  This is a snapshot of a troubled man in
White City.

> Could this be about spiritual poverty?

Maybe.  That's a stretch, too.  If so, Jim becomes "spiritually" rich again by
attempting to put his life back together via his relationship with his estranged
wife (which is implied).  If anyone is Jim's savior, she is.

- SCHRADE in Akron

And beyond our galaxy are other galaxies, in the universe all told at
least a hundred billion, each containing a hundred billion stars.
Do these figures mean anything to you?
     - John Updike