Article on previous Oz tour

L. Bird pkeets at
Wed Jul 28 16:40:56 CDT 2004

Repost from Whochat Forum:

>Interesting article in the Australian:

Who the hell are you?

The Who land in Australia today despite vowing in 1968 never to return after 
being held by police in Melbourne for five hours. Glenn A.Baker looks back 
at the horror flight that led to the band's siege
July 27, 2004
LEGENDARY tour manager for four decades, Ron Blackmore, remembered every 
second of what unfolded on the last day of the Who's Australian tour in 
January 1968, as the party in his care boarded a 7am Sunday flight from 
Adelaide via Melbourne to Sydney, where they were supposed to connect to a 
Christchurch flight.

Just 3 1/2 years earlier Australia had swooned shamelessly over the B**tles. 
John, Paul, George and Ringo were lovable moptops whose every indulgence or 
indiscretion was complicitly overlooked by a breathless nation. But the 
likes of Pete Townshend and Keith Moon were seen as little better than 

In typical tour tradition the last night was party night and being volatile 
bands, the Who and their support, the Small Faces and Paul Jones, partied 
all night, Blackmore once told me. "I'll never know how we did it but we got 
all the performers out of bed at five and then had them at the airport by 6 
o'clock. As you could imagine, everyone was dead on their feet. Most of them 
hadn't been to bed, none of them had had a shower. It was summer and they 
were all wearing singlets. Nobody in Australia had ever seen anything like 
those singlets with names printed on them.

"By the time I rounded them up at the airport we were last on the plane. The 
last one on was Paul Jones. He wasn't the party type and hadn't been up all 
night so he bounded on board as fresh as a bloody daisy. He had done himself 
up all ready for the press in New Zealand. He really kept up an image -- 
open neck silky shirt with a cravat, fancy shoes, all spick'n'span."

The plane took off and Blackmore, roughly the same age as the band members, 
had his head in a newspaper when a flight attendant demanded angrily: "Are 
you the leader of this bloody mob?" He quickly scanned the rows, ascertained 
that his charges were largely out cold and admitted he was. "Well I've had 
them," she said. "We've only been in the air five minutes and they want 
beer!" He looked around again and spotted three, one being the Who's loony 
drummer Moon, going "Yeah, beer".

"I won't serve them beer until I've served everybody teas," she insisted. 
Blackmore thought that fair enough so he stood up, told them all the score 
and received the general response "Terrific. We'll have a cup of tea then." 
He then returned to his paper.

The urbane Oxford-educated Jones, the former lead singer of the group 
Manfred Mann, who had sung their global hit Do Wah Diddy Diddy and had 
previously toured Australia with them, picks up the tale. "It was a scene of 
people asleep, reading newspapers or, in the case of Kenney Jones of the 
Small Faces, playing gently with a baby who was leaning over the seat in 
front of him. I had been dying for coffee and I saw that the hostess had 
begun serving from the front of the plane. She came to the four or five rows 
that our party occupied and stopped serving coffee and then resumed serving 
it behind us. After I had recovered from the surprise I pressed my call 
button, twisted around and said over my shoulder, 'Could I have some coffee 
please? And she said 'You'll get coffee when I'm ready'. I thought that was 
astonishing so I replied, 'actually no, I'll have some coffee now please', 
then she said, 'I've never been spoken to in this way in all my life!' So I 
said, 'My goodness, you've led a sheltered life' and she stormed off."

Blackmore heard her say "I was told not to serve you" so he walked to the 
servery area and inquired "Excuse me, who's the hostess in charge?" Innocent 
but obviously inflammatory words. "This bird with her back to me spun around 
in tears, totally distraught, and she started screaming 'I am!'. I said to 
her 'Look, I don't understand. I don't know what we've done. I haven't seen 
anybody do anything wrong, so what's the problem?' But she kept on 
screaming, 'I'm going to see the captain, I'm going to have you arrested!' 
'Fine, but what's the problem, what have we done?' 'You know what you've 

"She steamed off to the captain so I turned to the other girls and said 
'Look, I really don't know what's upset her, if I knew I'd be down there 
yelling at them, but honestly, somebody had better give them some tea and 
coffee or they're gonna pull this plane to pieces. Remember, that's what you 
told them -- don't make a noise for beer, wait for the tea -- and they've 
sat there patiently, haven't done a thing and you walked right past them'. 
She said: 'You're right, you're dead right, we'll serve them straight away 
but you must remember, we've got to take our instructions from her.' I said 
'Look, she's in no fit state to give any instructions, so you're on your 
own. They're all Poms, bring 'em all tea, don't even ask them, just give it 
to 'em.'

"They started pouring the tea and I was sitting in my seat totally confused 
but thinking that I'd sorted it all out. Then I looked up to see the captain 
coming down the aisle checking off the seat numbers. He walked up, looked at 
me and said: 'Are you Blackmore? I'm the captain.' I said 'How do you do, 
sir?' He didn't waste any time being polite. 'I've just come here to inform 
you that on arrival in Melbourne I have arranged for the Commonwealth Police 
to meet you and you will all be taken into custody.' 'What have we done?' 
'I'm not prepared to discuss it; I have one of my girls in the cockpit 
hysterical.' Then he started to march back down the aisle. I just couldn't 
believe it was happening, I was spluttering 'Whaa but why ... who ... how 
... uh ... uh, wh ... wh ... what ya talking about?!', then one of the Who's 
roadies jumped up and said: 'Hey don't you want to hear our side of it?' The 
captain turned his head, said 'I'm not interested' and kept walking. So that 
was it, these guys started yelling 'You ...', y'know."

As the aircraft taxied at the old Essendon Airport in Melbourne, an 
increasingly apprehensive Blackmore sighted from his window what he 
estimated to be 40 Commonwealth Police on the tarmac. "One of them started 
up the stairs and I looked over at Pete Townshend, who was packing death.

"This guy in a suit was standing in the doorway just watching us and he 
looked right at Townshend and said, 'you're coming with me'. Pete asked him 
'am I under arrest?' and the cop said he wasn't. 'Well I ain't going 
anywhere with you pal, cause the last pig that said come with me when I 
wasn't under arrest kicked the s**t out of me in Germany. So I'm not going 
anywhere with anybody unless I'm formally charged in front of witnesses and 
at this point I can't understand what you could possibly charge me with'.

"The policeman huffed a bit and said: 'Be it as it may, you will all have to 
get off this plane and you will go into the VIP lounge where you will be 
under close surveillance. You will not be allowed to ring or contact 
anybody, you will not be able to leave the room, and you will not be 
continuing on this flight."'

Airport manager Allan Trail had been rung at home about the "massive 
problem" and dashed in wearing gardening shorts. He knew Blackmore and 
persuaded police to let him use a phone, though not an Ansett one. The 
Commonwealth Police let him out of the room on the condition that he would 
not speak to the waiting media. As he walked past a row of phone booths 
outside the airport he overheard reporters talking to their editors. 
"Because nobody had told them anything they started making up stories, 
things like 'they're all under arrest, it seems they stripped naked and ran 
up and down the aisles' or 'they had a fist fight with a couple of 
passengers and three people have been taken to hospital' and on it went."

The flurry of calls began but being Sunday, everyone had gone fishing, or to 
the beach. Blackmore demanded to speak to airline owner Reg Ansett. "Oh no, 
it's Sunday, he's at home, can't get him ..." As a last resort Blackmore 
asked to speak to the captain again.

Blackmore apologised for whatever it was the bands were supposed to have 

Blackmore recalls: "Then, I'll never forget this, I extended my hand and 
said 'Incidentally my name is Ron Blackmore'. He [the captain] put his hand 
behind his back, said 'I'm not going to touch you mister, you're s**t', 
turned to Trail and said, 'if they're on the plane it doesn't fly, that's 
all there is to it', then stormed off with Bawling Bertha [the flight 
attendant] in tow.

"When I got back, the Who and Small Faces wanted to tear the place apart. 
Stevie Marriott [Faces singer] was just lovely to control. He wanted to kick 
a wall down and I was holding him in the corner saying, 'shut up man, cool 
it'. There wasn't even a beer to calm him. Paul Jones was simply 
dumbfounded, he just didn't believe it was happening. He was running around 
warning the rowdy ones, 'no, no that's the worse thing to do'."

Trail finally relented and got Ansett on the line and held the handset an 
arm's length as Ansett "blew up, went berserk, absolutely bananas: 'Who made 
the decision to offload them? Who gave them the authority, these sort of 
decisions are made at management level, do da da da.' When Reg calmed down I 
got called over and handed the phone. 'I don't know whether you did this or 
not' and I jumped in with 'great, somebody who can finally tell me what 
we've done'. 'Well, they're claiming you endangered the lives of the 
passengers on the aircraft.'

When I got my breath back I said, 'Mr Ansett, nobody had a gun, nobody got 
out of their seats, they didn't even make a noise because they were all 

"That may be, but nevertheless we've got to get you to Sydney," Ansett said. 
Blackmore thanked him and pointed out that his group had been held for 5 
1/2hours without a biscuit, sandwich, cup of tea or even a drink of water. 
Ansett barked, "right, give me back to the airport manager" and in five 
minutes laden trolleys materialised.

By this time the waiting media was becoming fevered and Ansett insisted that 
there be a statement to the press.

Blackmore recalled: "I talked them into letting Paul Jones [whose big solo 
hit had been, ironically, I've Been A Bad Bad Boy] be the spokesman with all 
the others sitting quietly behind him like a portrait painting. Paul Jones 
spoke very ... well very, at the front of a wedge of suddenly angelic 
musicians. He went through the spiel: 'We didn't do anything, I don't know 
why we are here, but I believe we are leaving'."

Ansett had an Electra rolled out of a hangar to fly the party to Sydney, 
though the only way the pilot would take the plane up was if there were two 
Commonwealth Police along for the ride, and no other passengers. "The 
Electra flew back to Melbourne empty except for these two cops," said 
Blackmore, "and they couldn't work it all out. They'd never seen such a 
well-behaved bunch of guys. Sure they were typical rock'n'roll people, a 
yell and a shout, but that was about it."

At Mascot airport the beleaguered musicians walked off and on to a coach 
loaded with Customs and Immigration men who processed the group on the way 
to the international tarmac and a New Zealand flight. Within three minutes 
of them stepping on board, the door slammed shut and their bizarre 
Australian odyssey was over.

* * *

POSTCARD, the opening track on the Who's 1974 Odds & Sods album, penned by 
bassist John Entwistle, mentioned "people who hurt us in Germany" and 
included the verse "There's kangaroos and we're bad news in Australia/Thrown 
off the plane for drinking beer/So long on the plane it drove us insane, so 
long on the plane".

The Who play Wednesday and Thursday at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, 
Saturday at Melbourne Vodafone Arena.

Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

More information about the TheWho mailing list