Zak interview in Herald Sun

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 06:39:03 CDT 2004

On line (with the worst picture of Zak I've ever seen)
at:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10267184%255E2902,00.html

Who's who of drumming

28jul04

THE Who's drummer Zak Starkey hadn't even picked up a
drumstick when the legendary rock band last toured
here.

"I was three," the musician said abruptly after
arriving in Sydney yesterday for the band's first
concerts in Australia since 1968.
The son of the Beatles' drummer, Ringo Starr, has been
realising a childhood dream since he joined the Who in
the mid-1990s.

Rock 'n' roll myth has it that Who drummer Keith Moon
gave Starkey one of his first professional kits.

Keith used to be a kind of musical godfather to him,
Pete Townshend has said.

Starkey would sit at the kit wearing headphones,
drumming along to his favourite albums, including
those by the Who.

"Playing with the Who is the biggest rush there is. At
11 years old, I used to go to bed dreaming about what
I'm doing now. I don't know how many people can say
that," Starkey said in 1997.

Starkey more than paid his dues before being invited
to join rock royalty.

Performing in pubs by the age of 12, he formed his
first band, garage rockers the Next, in his teens and
recorded his first studio session with the Spencer
Davis Group at 17.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!