Oz Article on Zak

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 22:46:44 CDT 2004

http://entertainment.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4459,10269708%5E7484%5E%5Enbv,00.html

Who's who of drumming
July 28, 2004

THE Who's drummer Zak Starkey hadn't even picked up a drumstick when the
legendary rock band last toured here.

"I was three," the musician said abruptly after arriving in Sydney yesterday
for the band's first concerts in Australia since 1968.

The son of the Beatles' drummer, Ringo Starr, has been realising a childhood
dream since he joined the Who in the mid-1990s.

Rock 'n' roll myth has it that Who drummer Keith Moon gave Starkey one of
his first professional kits.

Keith used to be a kind of musical godfather to him, Pete Townshend has
said.

Starkey would sit at the kit wearing headphones, drumming along to his
favourite albums, including those by the Who.

"Playing with the Who is the biggest rush there is. At 11 years old, I used
to go to bed dreaming about what I'm doing now. I don't know how many people
can say that," Starkey said in 1997.

Starkey more than paid his dues before being invited to join rock royalty.

Performing in pubs by the age of 12, he formed his first band, garage
rockers the Next, in his teens and recorded his first studio session with
the Spencer Davis Group at 17.

Herald Sun