Quad movie (sorry- forgot to change the subject line on prior post)

Sroundtable at aol.com Sroundtable at aol.com
Tue Jul 27 22:03:55 CDT 2004

> I went into it expecting that the entire film would
> be nothing but music, like Tommy was.  It started off incandescently,
> with a quiet opening shot (IIRC) which, soon enough, exploded into
> "The Real Me" with Jimmy motoring along on the scooter, right at me,
> as the credits rolled.  After 30 seconds or a minute, TRM faded out
> and we went to dialogue.  I felt like I'd been slapped.  My jaw hung
> open, at least figuratively and perhaps literally, in disbelief that
> they'd stop that glorious music for a bunch of actors reciting lines.
> I've never recovered, actually, and am still not particularly
> interested in Quad except as an historical record of a part of The
> Who's lives.

This crystallizes my reaction.  Maybe if I had known what to expect it
wouldn't have been a disappointment.  It was like what happened when I saw The
Bourne Identity.  I read the book and loved it, and went to the movie to see how
another set of eyes and ears had interpreted it.  What I got was an entirely
different story based VERY loosely on the book.  In other words, they took a
basic concept and constructed an entirely different plot.  It wasn't even close.
This is why I didn't read Bourne Supremecy- so I could actually enjoy the film
(which I did).  Now I can read Bourne Supremecy and treat it as a different
story altogether.

Mc