Quad movie

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Tue Jul 27 11:05:42 CDT 2004

>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:50:45 EDT
>From: Sroundtable at aol.com
>
>I was expecting the film to be more driven by the
>music.  The Quad songs were merely part of the soundtrack, albeit the main
>part.  I think my expectations were just in the wrong place, so it hurt the
>experience for me.

I had an experience along the line of Pete's -- "when they switched
the motor off at the end...I wanted them to put it back on again and
I just wanted to hear that music again that I heard" -- the first
time I saw Quad.  I went into it expecting that the entire film would
be nothing but music, like Tommy was.  It started off incandescently,
with a quiet opening shot (IIRC) which, soon enough, exploded into
"The Real Me" with Jimmy motoring along on the scooter, right at me,
as the credits rolled.  After 30 seconds or a minute, TRM faded out
and we went to dialogue.  I felt like I'd been slapped.  My jaw hung
open, at least figuratively and perhaps literally, in disbelief that
they'd stop that glorious music for a bunch of actors reciting lines.
I've never recovered, actually, and am still not particularly
interested in Quad except as an historical record of a part of The
Who's lives.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."