White City

Marcus Surrealius bushchoked at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 08:21:35 CDT 2004

> Mark and Keet's discussion of when Pete did his most
> spiritual work made me realize that, after he went
solo, most of the songs
> I'd call spiritual pop

Jim:

Pete does interject spirituality when he can, but I'd
say less often after The Who broke up. The Sea Refuses
No River is the last overtly spiritual song I can
think of at the moment.

> Then I thought about White City and I kept thinking
> of Crashing By Design,
> which on the surface is anti-spiritual ("everything
> that's ever befallen you
> happened simply 'cause it crossed your mind").

Sounds anti-spiritual to me.

  Face
> The Face and Brilliant
> Blues seem like they might qualify, but I haven't
> really examined them
> closely enough.

Brilliant Blues sounds to me like a song about the
breakup of The Who. The Brilliant Blues being the
band, listen to the song with this in mind and see
what you think.
To me, White City has always been the album where Pete
talked about breaking up The Who.

> Introduction to White City in the inner sleeve -- by
> Pete Townshend

Tom:

Yes, out of long practice Pete does tend to express
himself in terms where he makes everyday events into
spiritual events. I'd say it's programed into his
"commentator mode" he falls into when he writes or
speaks to the public.
However, the story is not spiritual in the least. Like
Quad, and some say this is the sequel which I can
believe, it's about coping with society.

"Strength and wisdom are not opposing values."
                Bill Clinton

=====
Cheers         ML