Spirituality

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 22:44:28 CDT 2004

>I think it's pretty obvious why our species created religion.  It was an
attempt to explain the universe in an age before scientific reasoning.

>"Religion is the science of former times, dried out & turned to dogma;
it is only the husk of an outdated scientific explanation."
     - Roger Martin du Gard

And something else.  The rituals and blessings are comforting and the priest
tells people they will be saved if they follow a particular set of rules.
Some highly charismatic leaders can influence others and go somewhat beyond
religion into the realm of cult.

An interesting text on this is philosopher Eric Hoffer's TRUE BELIEVER,
where he says some people WANT to be told what to do because they don't want
to take responsibility for their own lives.

Didn't we once have some brief tongue-in-cheek discussion here about The Who
cult?  TOMMY has a cultish feel to it, so you'd get the feeling Pete may
have seen the possibilities when The Who's popularity was building up.

keets