The Who Mailing List Digest, V11 #196

Imonecmw at aol.com Imonecmw at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 20:34:36 CDT 2004

huntington at mindspring.com writes:

> I vaguely recall quotes from Pete about sound and the sea. About how once
as a kid on a > boat trip out into the ocean the sounds put him into some
trance and when the motor
> stopped, he had a breakdown. Anyone remember this?

Sure, I posted the following last summer during the discussion of water in
Pete's songs.
"S-word" alert!!

Cynthia
----------------------
Here's a watery revelation from Pete (source: Off The Record Classic radio
show, week of May 11, 1998):

"I actually had an almost, like a spiritual experience which I tried to
recreate on the Quadrophenia album.  When I was a kid I used to be in the Sea
Scouts and we went out one day on the Thames in a motorboat and it had an
outboard
motor, a very old cranky outboard motor, and it was droning away.  And while
it was droning away I heard all this music come from the sound of it and it
kind of blissed me out, is the only way I can describe it, and when they
switched
the motor off at the end I just went *crazy*, I burst into tears and I wanted
them to put it back on again and I just wanted to hear that music again that
I heard, and I guess that what I've been trying to do musically, not
lyrically
but musically, ever since that day is try to recreate and approach that
sound."

I've Been Away, so apologies if Somebody Saved Me has already been mentioned
as having I believe four references to rain.

Cynthia