Administrivia: Terms of service for this list

Paul M. Moriarty pmm at igtc.com
Mon Jul 26 16:54:28 CDT 2004

Folks,

As a reminder, what follows are the terms of service for using this
list.  If you feel you either will not or cannot comply with these
terms, please unsubscribe from the list.

To be specific, please read carefully the areas about staying on topic
and leaving the enforcement of these terms to the administrator of the
list (aka, me).

Sorry to be so heavy handed, but a few of you (and you know who you are,
and please don't resond to me with, "(s)he started it, etc...") continue
to ignore these terms of service.  Take this as you final warning.
Future violations may result in your being banned from the list
permanently.

- Paul -

This page defines the terms of service for using igtc.com and the
services supplied by this site. We request that all users of our site
abide by the rules we have defined for their use. If you're unwilling or
unable to abide by these rules, please do not use our services.
Violators of our rules may find their usage privileges reduced or
revoked.

Rules for Using Our Services

We are trying to keep our usage rules simple, to give our users as much
flexibility as we can while protecting them from the abusers. We want to
assume that our users are mature adults and will act appropriately, and
work with us to abide by the spirit of the rules; by doing so, we can
avoid a list of rules that looks like they were written by a lawyer with
a headache...

We have a few key rules for using our site:

If you are using one of our services and see something you feel is
inappropriate, please report it to us. Do not attempt to 'fix' the
problem yourself -- that almost always makes it worse, and many times
gets in the way of an administrator who's already working on it. Also,
trying to do it yourself will probably get you in trouble with us
instead of (or with) the other person, and you won't like that. Let the
people in charge handle it.

If an administrator asks you to stop doing something, stop doing it. If
you disagree with the request, we'll talk about it, but ultimately, this
isn't a democracy. The site admins have the final say. If a
non-administrator asks you to stop doing something -- use your judgment.
If you agree with the complaint, stop. If not, you decline politely, or
ask the administrator to mediate. If a disagreement escalates into a
flamewar, everyone involved could be subject to disciplinary action.

If we don't get complaints, it's difficult for us to act on them,
because we aren't mind-readers. If you don't like how something is being
managed or used, let us know, but please don't assume that because you
complain we will do something -- we'll investigate and decide what (if
anything) needs to be done on a case by case basis.

There are a few things which we will not tolerate, and which can lead to
losing your posting privileges or be completely banned from the site:

Attempts to "hack" the site or circumvent site security.

Abuse of the site, the administrators or the users of this site.

Posting chain letters or any of the e-mail hoaxes circulating the net.
If the hoax is already documented in one of the hoax sites (like the
Symantec Center or the Ciac hoaxbusters page, posting it is grounds for
removal from our sites. We are very serious about killing these hoaxes
off the net, and we have no tolerance of people who forward them around
without doing basic research as to whether they're accurate or not.
These things are nothing more than viruses -- e-mail viruses that infect
mailing lists. If you infect our list, we'll treat it as a serious
offense.

Excessive profanity or inappropriate language. We are tolerant of some
profanity, but we also realize that some of our members are upset by its
use. We don't believe it makes sense to outlaw it outright, but we also
want our users to be sensitive to the other members of the list and show
some discretion. We don't like to make occasional use an issue, but when
it gets out of control, we'll ask you to tone it down.

Any attempt to harvest e-mail addresses for commercial purposes, or to
use e-mail addresses or any user information on this site for any
purpose not related to this site will be considered grounds for
immediate banning of this site.

Spamming or commercial posts -- Do not post commercial posts unless you
have the approval of the admin, or the forum area explicitly allows it.
All unapproved or misplaced advertising and commercial postings will
reconsidered spamming and will be treated as such with banning from the
site and reporting your activities to your ISP. Within the forums that
do allow this, messages that are not relevant to the topic of the forum
will be deleted, and we will consider banning repeat offenders.

We reserve the right to delete messages from our system that we feel are
abusive or inappropriate for our audience. We reserve the right to
relocate posted messages to more appropriate locations on our site if
they're posted in an incorrect location. We also reserve the right to
report cases of abuse to a user's ISP for further disciplinary action.

Try to stay on topic -- but realize that topics will wander, just as a
conversation at a party does. If a topic wanders, be patient, tune out
or change the subject. Don't yell at people about it.

Keep your messages short -- succinct is good. Long and rambling is not.

Spelling and Grammar do matter. The Internet is a written medium, and
poorly written or sloppy messages make it hard for other users to take
the content seriously. If you don't care enough about your thoughts to
present them well, why should anyone else care about them?

Don't guess -- if you don't know the answer to a question, don't guess.
Look it up, or let someone else answer it. There are few things more
frustrating to a user than to ask a question and get four answers, only
one of which can be right -- and not knowing which one is.

Edit included messages in replies to minimize the amount of text. The
more you hide your words by surrounding them with included text, the
less likely people will find and read them.